You might not know this about me …I am crazy about flash mobs! I have now participated in three flash mobs and watched hundreds on the Internet. My most recent flash mob experience was on February 14, V-day to break the chains of violence against women.
The flash mob I joined was small. But, in the end we came together and shouted, sang and danced, and I once again came away feeling empowered by the collective power of women. My daughter and 3-month-old granddaughter attended V-Day with me. I was so proud to have 3 generations of our family rise up together and demand an end to violence against women. We cannot ever forget that 1 out of 3 women will experience violence in her lifetime. It is staggering to realize that this means that over 1 billion women on this planet will be impacted by violence in some form or another.
Another important date is coming up. March 8th is International Women’s Day. It is a day that globally, we as women celebrate, recognize, and applaud our many achievements. Buts it’s also a day to remind ourselves that not all women have a voice, or the educational and economic opportunities they need to live their dreams.
Did you know that for Soroptimist everyday is Women’s day? Day in and day out our business is women and girls. We work to improve the lives of women and girls all around the world but also; we work to help them live their dreams.
On March 8, my local Soroptimist club members will be handing out chocolate to women in our community and inviting them to join us.
How will you be celebrating IWD?
If you’re stuck for an idea here are a few:
- Join a local Soroptimist club. We truly are BEST for WOMEN. Click here for a list of Western Canada Region Soroptimist Clubs
- Join our online Live Your Dream community. Liveyourdream.org
- Organize a flash mob (and invite me!).
- Send out en email message letting everyone you know that you are celebrating.
- Paste the link from this page on your website to help spread the word.
- Write a letter to women you know and tell them what you admire about them.
- Write a gratitude list and share it with other women.
- Post comments on Facebook, Twitter, or Linkedin inviting friends to celebrate the joy of being a woman with you!
Most of all on March 8th and all the days after I hope that you will remember to Live Your Dream and Celebrate you!
Because you are fabulous!
“On behalf of myself and every woman that I know, you make me proud to spell my name W-O-M-A-N.” – Maya Angelou