The 25th anniversary of SI Central Alberta got me thinking. While those dedicated ladies were working to build their club what was happening in the world in 1988? Here are a few things I came up with.
See if you remember them…
- There were no iPods, PDA’s , or GPS. Back then if you were hip you had a Sony Walkman (with a CASSETTE)
- We were playing Pac Man!
- Calgary hosted the winter olympics
- The summer olympics were in Seoul, Korea. It was here that Canadian Ben Johnson won and lost the gold medal
- Popular films in 1988 were Rain Man, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and Die Hard
- The Hubble telescope was put into operation
- Wayne Gretzky was traded from the Edmonton Oilers to the LA Kings
- The price of gas was….. 50 cents a litre
- Popular fashions were acid washed jeans, and big shoulder pad shirts (neither of which I will ever admit to owning!).
- Billboard’s # 1 song of the year was Faith, by George Michael
- Other popular songs that year were Michael Jackson – The way you make me feel; and Don’t Worry be Happy sung by Bobby Mcferrin
- 1988 was the year we first heard the slogan “Just do it”
- IBM and Radio Shack announced the release of the personal computer. Remember the PS/2 and Tandy?
- And in 1988 Oprah wheeled out a red flyer wagon of fat . This was to become her highest rated episode.